Wednesday 17 July 2013

Wyrd Sisters - The Auditions

I'm really, really excited about this.

The Canterbury Players next production will be Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters.
I must confess, I have not read much Pratchett.  I have however read this one.  For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's basically Shakespeare's Macbeth with a hefty dose of common sense, dry humour and, dare I say it, magical reality sprinkled over the top.
Not sure what I mean?

Here's the (abridged) opening.

A blasted moor.  Lightening cracks and thunder rumbles.  Mist swirls and three misshapen figures are huddled around a dark, twisted cauldron which boils with green fog.  Over the roar of the storm a screeching voice cackles "When shall we three meet again?".

There's a pause.

"Well I can't do next Tuesday, I'm babysitting for our Derek".

You get the idea.

I was desperate to be involved with this play.  I didn't care how - I just wanted to be a part of something that I know is going to be brilliant fun.
I auditioned on the first day and was fairly amazed when I got cast a few days later.  I was even more amazed when RV, the Director, asked me to be his Assistant Director.   We were a double act on Teechers when he was my AD so I know that we work well together. 
These photos are all from the second day of the auditions.  I won't go into too much detail as RV has given an in-depth account on his own blog which you can read here
Rehearsals start in August and we are on stage in the first week of November at the Gulbenkian Theatre in Canterbury.
I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment