Friday 26 July 2013

Berry Go Round

At this time of the year I often have half-empty packets of berries floating around in the fridge.  They don't look particularly appetising and are often past their best but I am loathe to just throw them out for the birds.
The quickest, easiest option is normally to blitz them into a smoothie which I then gulp down in the mornings with breakfast.
As this is a strictly use-whatever-you-have-lying-around type of smoothie there isn't a 'recipe' as such.  It's more a nudge to have a think about how you can make the most of your leftover fruit and veg!
For this one I used half a punnet of blueberries, half a dozen strawberries and some cherries (that I remembered to de-stone at the last minute otherwise I would have had a busted blender blade).  I added some fresh basil for flavour and as I had no yoghurt in the house I used some sugar-free apple and blackcurrant squash (diluted, not neat) to mix it all together.
Hey presto, a few minutes blitz in the blender and you have an instant, delicious and refreshing smoothie!  I bottle it, stick it in the fridge and it lasts for about 2 days.

4 comments:

  1. Never thought to put basil in my smoothies! Will deff have to try that sometime :) Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Te, thanks for commenting! I must admit this was the first time I had chucked basil in and it makes a huge difference! I think I will be experimenting with fresh herbs a lot more.

      Take care, Becs x

      Delete
  2. Love a good smoothie...just normally too lazy to make one or cheap to buy one. Used sparingly, you can also get a good effect with mint or lemonbalm thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - would never have considered lemonbalm!

      Delete