Wednesday, 20 March 2013

An English-Welsh Union

Last Friday Steve and I made the 3.5 hour journey to the Welsh borders for a true English-Welsh wedding union; the fact that the wedding took place on the same day as the England-Wales Six Nations was mentioned on numerous occasions!  The wedding itself was in Wales but the reception was in England in Herefordshire at Penyard House and Steve was honoured to be asked to be one of the groom's ushers.

First priority when we arrived - cuddles with Steve's godson.
The Friday night was all about the Groom at his pre-wedding dinner at the very quirky and eccentric Glewstone Court,  this place was rather like having dinner in someone's front room! 
This was a perfect location for a pre-wedding celebration.  Relaxed and cosy, it was lovely to be able to sit and catch up with friends and their families before the chaos of the next day started.  The groom (above) was on top form, with not a jot of nerves showing and the laughter and wine flowed freely.
Once we had eaten our fill we made our way groaning back to the minibus and the hotel where the bar was awaiting us.

A few more G&T's and an Amaretto later I decided it was time to hit the sack, ready for the big day the next day.

I stupidly left my camera battery charging in my room while we were at the ceremony, so I only have pictures from the reception.  It was a beautiful reception though, full of love and laughter and colour.  Fizz and wine flowed freely (my head the next day thought a little too freely), the food was excellent, the dancing lasted long into the night and a good time was had by all.  The bride looked radiant, her groom looked thrilled and the speeches were funny and emotional.  I did however lose by a large margin on the speeches sweepstake but made up for it on the couples quiz that was left for the tables to complete.
The bride looking remarkably coy here!
Simple flower scheme perfect for the time of year
The bride made the cake with her own fair hands.  It was divine!
Any wedding that serves sweets as favours with a refill bar and Australian wine has my seal of approval!
Steve added a little personal touch to his ushers suit
The bride and groom had a choreographed first dance and then a saxophone player and singer followed by a disco.  I danced until my tights came off but my heels stayed on!
A hog roast for all the hungry evening guests went down a treat.
We partied until the wee hours, fuelled by laughter and brandy then staggered upstairs to our room to collapse.  The next day I battled through my hangover (I barely touched breakfast) and after bidding everyone farewell we made the 20 minute journey to Cheltenham to have lunch with my grandparents at Brasserie Blanc.  A Raymond Blanc restaurant, it was OK but not worth the price per head without alcohol in my opinion - I have had much better mussels elsewhere. 

We then drove home, exhausted but happy, ready to face a new week of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment