Friday 7 June 2013

English Country Garden

Driving home the other day through some winding country lanes near Wye I came across this beautiful little cottage that looked like it was right out of one of the Beatrix Potter stories.
I had my camera with me and asked the owner (who was outside already) if they would mind me taking a few pictures.  They were delighted (nothing like showing off a stunning flower display) and let me snap away.   

Just look at the water pump near the window - it works!
I'm not one for perfectly manicured lawns and regimented flower displays.  I much prefer displays like this which look natural and more like wild flowers.  With the sunshine blazing down the colours just jumped out.

How many do you recognise from the rhyme?

How many gentle flowers grow
In an English country garden?
I'll tell you now of some I know
And those I'll miss I hope you'll pardon
Daffodils, heart's ease and phlox
Meadowsweet and lily stalks
Gentain, lupine and tall hollihocks
Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, forget-me-nots
In an English country garden
There were plenty of small butterflies and bees (I have a small thing for bees - my bee necklaces are my two favourite necklaces and we used to have lavender outside our front door that was a veritable social hangout for the fuzzy buzzers).
Just look at them.  I can't help but feel happy when I see such beauty.  It's not hard to imagine Benjamin Bunny and Mrs Tiggy-Winkle living happily here on elderflower cordial and honey biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment