Friday 7 June 2013

Beefy Steak Burritos

It is (slowly, oh so slowly!) getting warmer in Kent.  The sun is starting to creep past the clouds, days are getting longer and the breeze is gentler (more Notos than Boreas to use my Classics degree and sound like I didn't just have to google the names to remind myself).  Almost exponentially as it gets warmer my desire for fresh, zingy flavours undercut with warm chilli heat also increases.
I fancied Mexican for dinner, on a work night no less when normally I can't be bothered to do more than chuck some meat and sauce in a pan and serve it with whatever form of carbohydrate is closest.

I took inspiration from Tim Maddams recipe on the BBC Food website and modified it slightly.  As previously explained, this was a work night and there was no way on this earth I was making tortilla wraps from scratch when the supermarket had done all the work and presented me with pre-made ones.
These Beefy Buritos really hit the spot - tangy from the lime, warm and deep from the re-fried beans and packing a little bit of a punch.  Next time though I would add some chipotle chili to the steak marinade to add some extra smokey warmth and some more birdseye chili to the salsa.  This would turn this dish from a lightweight to a heavyweight in my books!

They are actually really easy to do and once your prep has been done (which you could do a day in advance and leave the flavours to develop), it only takes moments in the pan to cook.

For the steak:
400g sirloin steak, fat removed and cut into strips
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin seeds (lightly toasted in a dry pan until aromatic)
1/2 tsp allspice
Juice of 1/2 lime
Glug of olive oil

Bung it all in a bowl and allow to marinade.
For the salsa:
2 ripe-but-firm vine tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 red chili, (with or without seeds), finely chopped.
Mix in a bowl.
For the yoghurt:
Fat-free natural yoghurt
Zest of 1 lime, finely grated
For the re-fried beans:
1 tin black beans, partially drained
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp olive oil

When you are ready to serve, heat a large frying pan and chuck the steak mix in with a bit of salt.  Allow it to sit for a couple of minutes until the steak has seared on one side and then flip the whole lot.  Sear the other side, remove and allow to rest.
In the same pan you cooked the steak in, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and cumin from the re-fried beans list.  When it starts to smell fragrant add the tin of black beans and start to lightly crush it with a wooden spoon.  When it becomes slightly more mushy (technical term) remove it into a bowl.

Serve the whole lot with tortillas, chopped coriander and any salad you feel like.    This is a really healthy and low fat meal and takes a grand total of about 15 minutes from the moment you heat up your frying pan.
Assemble and munch.  I am hopelessly incapable of eating any form of wrap without making a huge mess; I just don't have the right wrapping technique!
Ice cold Coronas with wedges of lime squashed in the top are the perfect accompaniment for a warm summer evening.
I have a random story about my first time working with red onion.  In Year 7 in my home economics class we were told to bring in the ingredients for coleslaw.  My mum sent me in with a red onion.  We were told to remove 'all the brown' from the onion until we got to the white skin.  By the time the teacher got to me I had no onion left and just a pile of red pieces all over the work surface as I valiantly tried to find the white.  Hopefully my cooking has improved since then!

No comments:

Post a Comment